Monday, March 15, 2010

Reading The Hobbit

A few weeks ago, I told Jeremy I wanted to start reading The Hobbit. I wanted to read more about Bilbo, since I felt like me and him had a lot in common. Jeremy asked if we could read it together, because it had been so long since he had read it as well. I have mentioned in another blog entry, that Jeremy and I have read a lot of things together in the past, and when I say together, it's actually him doing all of the reading, but both him and me like it that way. I love listening to him read, he does all of the voices, and we really enjoy it. If we are not careful we lose track of time. We have only been reading it for a week, but I already love it, and I am finding more in common with Bilbo. Both of us grew up in a small place and never thought we would leave, we never planned on it, it just sort of happened. The small town I grew up in had a population of 1632 (in the year of 2000, according to wikipedia), and I really did think that most towns were that way, and I didn't mind the idea of living there all of my life. Bilbo was that same way, he had no desire to leave, and Gandalf kinda tricked him into it. Of course for me it was a bit different. A few months after I married that man of my dreams, he decided to join the Navy, and of course I wanted to go where ever he went. So far in the Hobbit we have gotten past the trolls, and we are now leaving Rivendell. Good story so far, and it's funny at times. Also given the choice of middle earth beings, I like hobbits best. They are short, and they live in cute hobbit holes, they love gardening, and they eat all of the time. I would make a great hobbit! Like Bilbo my adventure was unexpected, but great and I would do it all over again, but even though there is a part of me who misses that adventure, there is also a part of me, that is happy to be near my family. I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, because it is nice being back again. The good news is through all of the good and bad, and the mistakes, I would never change anything about my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment