Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Raising a bunch of Star Trek nerds


Anyone who knows me well, knows that I'm a Star Trek nerd. Not just a Trekie, I'm a Treker (that's even more hard core!). Now I know that our kids are supposed to take after us, but sometimes it just surprises me.

The other morning, before my husband went to work he turned Star Trek on (we have the dvds). He was finishing an episode that he had started the night before. This was fine and all until I needed the kids to get ready for school. Everyone was setting around watching Star Trek, eyes glued to the tv. Everyone but me, who was getting the morning things done. Believe me, I would have loved to join them. I needed the kids to get dressed, brush their teeth, put shoes and jackets on, and put their lunch boxes in their book bags. Now these things would normally take 15 mins all together, but not on this day. They just couldn't leave the living room! So after finally getting them to get dressed, brush teeth, and pack lunch boxes, all that was left was shoes and jackets, but we only had a minute. Not of course they can do this in one min, but when Star Treks on...

I finally tell the kids "hurry we have to go!" And Darien says "but I can't do this fast!" Now I have seen him get ready really fast before, but of course not today. And Zachary says "You mean we aren't going to finish this show" Wow! I finally had to go over and turn it off, and of course I get this look from Jeremy like "What, I was watching that!" Wow again! Yes I also wish I could set down and watch Star Trek in the morning, but it's just not going to happen. So needless to say, Star Trek has been banned in the mornings, because I really don't want my kids to end up missing the bus, because then I would have to drive them to school.

Although it was a very interesting episode (I had already seen it). For all of you curious Trekies out there, the episode was Chain Of Command, of Season 6, of The Next Generation. AKA "There are 4 lights!"

...Captain Picard Rocks...

1 comment:

  1. I read your new blog and i really enjoy reading them you should be a writer you write such great stories about your family. love you mommom

    ReplyDelete