Wednesday, May 8, 2013

When is your reading time?

Jeremy and I really put an emphasis on reading. We really want our children to know how important reading really is. When I was little I hated to read, because I found it really difficult, and I really didn't want to take to time to practice and get better. It wasn't until after I got married, and Jeremy started reading to me, that I wanted to read more. He inspired me to read out loud, and read a lot of books, a lot of different books. My son Darien is a lot like him. Darien will read without me telling him to. He will check out 5 books when we are at the library and have read all of them by the end of the week, and that's just the kind of person he is. My other two sons are like me. Reading isn't easy for them, and they need to set aside time just for reading. So everyday at 4pm is our reading time (for the kids anyways). This is usually about the time I start to make dinner. While I'm making dinner, the boys come and read to me a few lines in whatever book they are reading. It's nice, the house is quiet (well mostly) and my kids are practicing.

Last month my son Zachary had to write a "Persuasive Essay" for our home school supervisor. This is what he wrote.


Reading Time

by Zachary Legates

     I think that reading is important because it helps to train your brain so you will read better and it helps with spelling. Reading can also help with history, science, and health because you have to read and understand your work, so reading helps with almost everything in school.
     I think everyone should read for an hour everyday because it's fun and relaxing. Reading can settle you down for bed, it can also make you sleepy.
     When you are reading you can think of a picture in your head of the whole book and you can imagine that you are in the book while you are reading. So reading is also good for your imagination. I like reading I will read everyday.


This is from my son in the third grade. WOW! Note I did have to correct some spelling. I did however leave the grammar alone, because he is only 8. How cool is that though? He hated to idea of having to read "for a whole hour everyday," but now he loves it, and knows its importance. I want my children to know how important it is to read, write, and speak properly, so that way they are taken seriously. I know from experience that reading more really helps in this area. I'm sure you are thinking "well yeah, everyone knows that," and you are right, but how many people actually do that? Or encourage their kids to do that?  All I have to say is it's never to late to start.

I also have more encouraging news. Nathaniel (my son with ADD), is doing so much better with his school work. He is now able to sound words out like a pro, and has a huge list of words he knows just by sight. I'm so proud of the progress he has made over this past school year. I really thought he would never learn and that I may never be able to teach him myself, but finding help and taking deep breaths does wonders (not to mention trusting God, he really has helped me). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment